Coming Soon
back to Top

Any Questions ?®

chronic sinus swelling/allergy testing?

Posted on Mar 21, 2017

Dr. Kagen –

I have been seeing an ENT for several years.  I have had one surgery for deviated septum, which seemed to make my symptoms worse when I do develop a sinus cold. now my doc is recommending allergy testing.  I do not want to go through the same ENT as I have been seeing. everything I have tried both prescription and OTC is ineffective.  I am miserable! my sinus CT shows swelling but no infection.  this has been ongoing intermittently since December.

what can I do?

Thanks for asking about your symptoms of congestion in your nose and sinuses.

The best way to find out if you are suffering from an allergic disease is to see a physician who is Board Certified in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.  Allergy Specialists are experts at performing allergen skin tests that may reveal the exact cause of your symptoms.

It is not possible to make a diagnosis online, but you may have Non-Allergic Rhinitis – also known as Vasomotor Rhinitis and Hypersensitivity.  Patients with Hypersensitivity are very sensitive to anything that changes inside or outside of their bodies, including cold air inhalation, noxious odors, cigarette smoke, natural gas vapors and even excessive stomach acid and even small changes in hormone levels.

Ask your doctor what is best for you, and be sure to see a Board Certified Allergy and Asthma Specialist; ENT surgeons are good at cutting people open and not so good at diagnosing allergic and immune disorders.

I hope this information is helpful to you.


Steve Kagen, M.D.

Posted in General | Comments Off on chronic sinus swelling/allergy testing?

Ask Dr. Kagen a Question...

Did You Know?